Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Parisian Street Performer

My husband and I went on our first trip to France in September 2009 and stayed in a small apartment on Rue Mouffetard in Paris.  Rue Mouffetard is an active market street in the 5th arrondissement with lovely fruit and vegetable stalls, butchers, fish shops, bakeries, and a variety of other foodstuffs...oh, and some of the most amazingly fragrant rotisserie chickens and potatoes I have ever come across and which, due to unfortunate circumstances, I did not have the opportunity to taste.

Returning to our apartment one afternoon, we found this gentleman performing to a crowd on one of the nearby corners.  He was standing on one foot, juggling three clubs while simultaneously balancing a large carafe with water and a goldfish on his head.  I snapped the photo on which the quilt is based and put some euros in his hat.
Parisian Street Performer (c) Beth Stanton
Quilting Detail

I finished this piece just recently.  Starting with a plain piece of PFD fabric and an outlined version of my photo, I inked the image using using Tsukineko inks and markers. Both the inner and outer borders are commercial batiks.  I quilted this one on a domestic machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment